harbeth+quad with "chicken" wires


I really love the Compact 7, I spent quite some time listening to them at the show. Me and my brother were totally mesmerized by its effortless mids and musicality. So far, Spendor and Harbeth are 2 brands with box resonance that does not impair the overall sound. Instead, much like a well built classical guitar, they resonate musically and added that much body to the mids, making vocal vividly fleshed out.

However, that's where the similarity between Spendor and Harbeth ends. Till now, I've never failed to notice the slightly edgy trailing of metal dome tweeters. I know people have been raving about the resolution of this room albeit the use of "chicken" cables. But do be reminded, with today's tendency to do everything high resolution, can it be overkill for the Harbeth's metal dome?

Even with silk dome, the ProAc R8S gave me a hard time taming them. I know, you can skimp on snake oil cables, but with cheaper rigs, there won't be enough heft to give you that rich sound. But if you like them, I am sure you'll give them nothing but the best!

3 comments:

Kong said...

I voted this setup "The Best Human Voice" reproduction simply because it's sounded so.....human. I was mesmerized by it and so was my friend. He stayed almost the entire Sunday in this very room and at the end of the day, insisted that he be allowed to buy this very pair because Sam wasn't intending to sell anything in this show and we didn't know where his shop is!

As for the 'chicken wire' part...the freeby looking interconnet, power cords that look like those attached to cheapo DVD player, the ancient no-flashing-light-non-sexy looking Quad CD/Pre/Amp. The unequal length speaker calbes with one made longer by joining 2 together with plastic plumber 'magic connector'?

I reckon Sam was taking a piss at High End Hifi with his anti-establishment stunts. I liked that.

Anonymous said...

You cannot judge that speaker based on what you heard. Get a home demo before you decide. There was so much missing from the music at the show although it did sound nice. Do remember these are monitors they are supposed to hide nothing from the what comes before it.

Lil' KC 小雞雞 said...

Hi anon,

Was this for me?

Eh, I didn't mean bad wor, just my 2 cents and some reminders.

I'm using ATC SCM20T, studio monitor floorstanders no less.