In audio, it’s good to start early and get oneself exposed to house sounds of different brands. This is hard I know, it took me a while before I realize that there are certain characteristics associated with brands out there.

With knowledge in house sound, you don’t get lost easily as you have a set of criteria as checklist when you upgrade or purchase. Of course, it used to be easier to spot what I called house sound in earlier audio history due to the designers strong belief and non-compromising principle. Still, it’s not hard to notice this in today’s converging sound standard and quality.

Brands come and brands go, those which are still going strong are those with deeply rooted belief and ideology. We have many one hit wonders out there whereby the company just went into puff after a wonderful product. Why is that so?

I guess that would mainly be the vague concept of house sound, or the lack of knowledge in building better sounding equipments on top of fundamental sound characteristics that the company started off with. I stayed a while with ARC LS2B MKII, SP9 MKII and finally LS8. Though I can’t say these are expensive hi-end by today’s standard, but the point is, along the way, I learn the evolution of ARC sound.

From heavily colored and fleshy sound, till today’s thinner and tauter sound, there is a fundamental tone that’s so ARC. Chronologically, resolution and definition improved, yet the ARC spirit lies within. I too, followed 2 generations of AQ cables and still never fail to spot AQ’s house sound which has mid emphasis and metallic highs.

Many failed to realize this and started upgrading frantically without finding the house sound they liked. There’s a synergy between house sound and not all brands would go hand in hand by simply mating them together! There must be a constant in one’s setup for it to grow and evolve.

Be it speakers, amps or sources; try to get started by knowing which brand rubs you best. I was lucky enough to be enchanted by ProAc Response 1SC. Subsequent listen to Studio 125 and Future Point 5 strengthen my love in ProAc and there I was starting off with a pair of Tablette Reference 8. If there is no such thing as house sound, there won’t be followers and believers.

And the magic with house sound is, the better you pay, the more you get! Would you think people are stupid enough to pay more and more without getting what they like more? Would I be stupid enough to part more dough from Reference 8 to R8 Signature and from AQ Panther to AQ Cheetah? Man, a hike in model means 1.5 to 2 times in cost!

Many still argue with me that changing tubes can change the sound totally, I say to certain extend! Please change the tires of your cars and see if they change altogether or not? Better handling and grip, yes! From Proton to Merc? No way, the fundamental characteristics are still there!

Let me give more examples, when I was using Harmonic Tech Magic for my source, there’s a softening of transient. It imposed a sense of ease that made the sound so enjoyable. But when I switch to AQ Cheetah, the metallic highs and mid emphasis just make the presentation so much more live-like. But the ARC’s airy and expansive stage remains intact.

Now, if you know what house sound you like, wouldn’t it be easier for you to buy and have lesser regrets?

3 comments:

maggielurva 愛美姬 said...

I wouldn't use "metallic highs" and "mids emphasis" to describe AQ house sound as they would connote negative meanings. AQ has more machoness-is-goodness sort of approach to highs and mids. AQ sound is always lively and full of presence, tho' not the last word in refinement.

Lil' KC 小雞雞 said...

Yes, I too was afraid it might bring negative meanings. Sometimes, finding words to describe what we know is just so hard.

If only language is as good as my hearing.

maggielurva 愛美姬 said...

good post, buddy.

by knowing the house sound, one would be able to maximize the synergy amongst different brands/products.

but as you rightly said, the signature sound of major established brands is blurred these days due to convergence.