Before I proceed in revealing the whole story on my eventful yet painful whole week, I guess I ought to tell you about this first! Thru out my 3 years of compact and express audio journey in hi-end, I have come across so many times of too-much-of-the-good-stuff incidents. A power cable might bring magic to the setup, add another one, the balance just collapses.

But this time round, it ain't bad at all! Things come and go, but things that you see in my setup have stand the test of time and qualify themselves to remain in my setup. Richard Gray Power Company, being one heck of a product, has never failed me even once. Heck, you owe it to yourself to add one if you have not done so!

After 2 years having an RGPC 400MKII, I still have not come across any product which could take its place. Well, except the bigger 600 or 1200. Or maybe, better still, another 400? Guys, with Richard Gray, there is just no too-much-of-the-good-stuff!

After spending hours with another RGPC 400 Pro, I strongly urge you guys to look into this! Of all the hi-end setups, there remain some fundamentals which they share similarly. Composure, compactness and effertlessness.

These traits DO NOT come easily if the foundation of good sound is not even there yet. I know many do not get what we are trying to say, and I do not mean to belittle anyone, you just have to keep on listening to get the basic right! For someone who is still struggling on extensions and thin sound, it's even harder to grasp these.

Composure(氣度/氣勢), only with ample of juice reserve are you able to give such tranquility. If you have followed Krell or Mark Levinson, they come in huge and massive irons. The work they put in getting the power right from start earns nothing but respect! With just my 400MKII working, you'll notice the agility in music performance, snappy and tuneful. However, with another 400 Pro on tap, things just calm down.

With only one RGPC, it's like a young kungfu monk, although equipped with speed and flexibility, lacks the inner strength in bringing more 'explosiveness' to the moves. Unlike a well learnt kungfu master, although you might perceive as if he's moving slower, it is actually carrying more 'strength'(力度) and 'weight'(勁). With 2 RGPC, this is exactly what I observed.

With this foundation, the setup is able to focus the sound energy more precisely, making the presentation compact and focused. Now, my Classic 60 is not new nor current production, hence, the compactness does not come from new and more precise components. With ample power reserves, the amp has got more juice to control the speakers better.

I perceived a cut in lower mid boom when running both the RGPC together. Due to this, imaging tends to focus up with better delineation of body and tangibility. Now, hi-end is not just about giving precise outline, but also what fills within the outline in giving the substantial weight and body. This is what we called compactness (結實/飽滿).

When the setup is able to focus such immense energy, it is impossible for it not to sound effortless. Experienced singers are able to push immense energy from their abdomen to push their voice across the stage, it is only lesser singers who sing in strain yet unable to convey the emotions.

From time to time, I notice such effortlessness(從容) in the musical presentation. There seems to be less hash, less harshness and less straining, letting the emotional conveyance as natural as can be. Musicality just sway gracefully in front of you, GRACE is the word!

I ain't no making all these up, but I consider myself lucky to have gain much opportunities in learning these early on. Once you get the basic right, it's so much easier for you to find your sound and just head on to audio nirvana. Stop challenging the impossbile, things DO NOT come free!

As for me, I am just going to miss it when it's time to return the RGPC 400 Pro!

No comments: