i realized that i had been focusing on the quality of music in my review and didn't talk much about recording so here's an addendum.

the recording quality is good but it just doesn't have the richness and warmth that i yearn, considering that my system (for a cd-based system) is already very analogue and rich-sounding. taken in that view, i would expect this cd to sound a bit anaemic in most systems.

but i like the hall ambience and airiness. the musicians are spaced out quite sparsely around the stage (you can double check by watching the excellent accompanying dvd) hence giving the whole presentation a "distant" and less "intimate" feel, compared to, say, jian pain zi part 1.

having listened to it for more than 10 times now, i still would not retract my negative comment that the arrangement is too old-school and classical for my tastes.

i would post another review on the recording once i receive my HK pressing.

No comments: