It is ever so often I meet someone and the conversation goes to the part where we ask what you do for a living. My quick answer would be, I am a car audio consultant or at times I'll say that I am a car audio distributor.
Speaking to a person that is not all that familiar with car audio can be quite challenging. Well, I take that back, not challenging per se but tactfully amusing. Almost automatically, as a gesture to keep the conversion going, the person may ask me how much does car audio cost. Such a simple question yet I have to pause briefly. What will you reply?

I have to keep in mind that the masses know they have a cd player and it's either a sony, clarion or something that starts with an A. It came as an OEM or it was once changed to an aftermarket replacement when the original konked out. I have to remind myself that they do not listen to audiophile cds or anything close to it and the younger generation may say, ya mp3s!! while the older will nod their head telling me which radio stations. For added enjoyment gospel comes to mind and as a distraction for the kids, childrens songs is a must.

My initial answers to these questions were full of explanations. Since I focus a lot on high-end gears, it is hard to give an approximate figure. I came to realize the more they nodded, the more they could be lost. I understand too that if I mention that depends on the budget, it could sound like I am trying to find out how much they can afford.

Now I find it simplier to give a response by asking a question or two in return. Are you a music lover? Do you know what an audiophile is? The reply helps me figure out how much interest is actually tied to the question and if they have the knack to understand what it takes to reproduce good music.
Suprisingly, most people have the love for music but not enlighten enough about the industry. If only we audiophiles can spread the word around (just like many people do in MLMs), we will help our music, audio and related industries to grow exponentially. Look at how the AV shows and computer fairs are starting to become.
People go for bargains rather than to learn the emerging developments in the industry. We seriously need to open up rather than to keep it to ourselves. It would be cool if we can get them to read the desirable audio boutique blog for a start.

No comments: