I have always told my mum, “You have never owned the money you earned until you have spent it (on things that matter to you most)!” I tell the same to my brothers and sister, and I have always been generous with my family.

Today, I met up with Bernard Cheong. He mentioned of one thing, which was in shocking resemblance with what I have always stressed. “Money is just a tool, having money in bank is as good as having no money.” He further added, “Time is finite and there has been lesser and lesser finer things in life to cherish and appreciate!”

Great minds think alike. But to many, our passions just proves fools seldom differ. At least to my dad, I seem foolish enough to spend more than 10K on a CDP when you can get a DVD player for RM99 in Carrefour. I am just an average 28-year-old, what am I trying to prove?!

Just when I think I can rave about myself to have started using ARC at the age of 23, I was humbled with a friend who has bought his first Breguet tourbillion at the age of 28. But what the heck, it is the passion to appreciate the finer things in life that counts!

Yeah, I was foolish enough to didn’t even gasp when a friend handed me his Richard Mille RM005 to look at. But I can’t help to not quote from Richard Mille,

My problem is that I am a bit crazy; I like to push everything beyond the limit.


I promise you, for as long as I am breathing, I will do my best to share what I heard in this space! This is our PASSION to great music appreciation!

8 comments:

maggielurva 愛美姬 said...

Comte de Mirabeau said "None but men of strong passions are capable of rising to greatness."

Anonymous said...

Bernard Cheong is already rich from the beginning, got a good stable job and well connected. Of course, money does not matter when you got a silver spoon already in the mouth ;-)

GlySinn said...

Money only does not matter when you have more than enough of it. And in abundance. To be able to comfortably afford your objects of passion is one of those things that drives us forward.
And ... wow.. to be able to earn enough money to buy the Breguet Tourbillon & Richard Mille at such young age is indeed a commendable achievement. My congrats! :) I can also say that both the owners have have meticulous eye for detail.

Kong said...

Money has no value till you spend it.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, can't spend if you got no money... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Passion for music doesn't mean having to spend a lot of money on hifi gear. Let's seperate the two; hifi is more of an obsession. Obsessed with how one thinks the music whould sound, should sound and must sound for good sound.

How often do audiophiles sit down and really enjoy the music? How often do they sit down and listen for details, soundstage, depth, etc, etc?

Enjoy the music and celebrer le temps.

Anonymous said...

"to be able to earn enough money to buy the Breguet Tourbillon & Richard Mille at such young age is indeed a commendable achievement."
The average person would not be impressed. Actually neither am I as I never heard of those names before. Now its another story if you were driving a 5 series or E Class or live in your own apartment or bungalow in Bangsar at 23. KC what's so great about owning a ARC at 23? So why go backwards and own a Badelius some years later?
Never let your hi-fi system go to your head or even think you know everything because you system is $$$$.
Its a hobby and the journey is often a lot more fun than the destination.
Obsessed? I prefer passionate. BTW
If you have not tinkered with your system in the last year (which includes upgrading or bought new CDs/Records) you have given up, time to sell everything and move to another hobby. Same applies if you don't listen to your system everyday.

Kong said...

Tinkering and listening to your system can be a reflection of 2 different things. The 1st is primarily to do with playing with equipments and if you had stopped, ya...may be best to move to other hobby. The 2nd is primarily to do with a love to listen to music and are here to stay and these people don't like to join the 'rat-race'.