As source is the soul and core of a setup, the amp to me is like the frame carrying the soul. I have came across some good ones in 2006 and anyone looking for amps owe it to yourself to audition the 2 prime examples below. Spanning from the economical 3K to the hi price 18K, these 2 amps cater to huge audiences. Who knows, you might get both, one for the main setup, and the other one for the second.

6C33CB, a tube with 3 nipples. I was made known the existence of this tube when I went to listen to a friend's full BAT a couple of years ago. My second encounter with this tube was 2 years ago when I flew HK very frequently. Back then, it was still the A incarnation and seriously, I almost bought it.

I was waiting and waiting for someone to bring it in but was faced with disappointment, and soon, the enthusiasm died. Fast forward to today, I saw it again in Aural Designs, and it is in B version now with improved extensions and increased power.

Upon first listen, it was not the SET richness and euphony that greeted me. Instead, I was blown away by its power driving a pair of Hyperion floorstanders! Playing Pink Floyd The Wall posed no issue to this little devil! Alrite, let's not get me wrong that it could rock like Naim. But being a tube guy, I know it is a milestone for SET to do such wonders!

While rocking, one would not fail to notice the amp's fluid mids and bodily presentation. No etch, no forwardness, the amp carries the natural tones of SET while not sacrificing a bit on extensions on both extreme.

Listen to the 318B, please!

OH MY GOD! This amp is a gem in today's crowded MIC tube scene. With so many MIC products at affordable prices, some might think NAF is taking a suicidal move to even make such expensive products. But hell no, MIC stuff will not be able to touch it, not even close!

I was listening happily to the 318B when Victor insisted to switch to the 845SE. With my preconception set on SET drive-ability, I was in doubt to see it drive the humongous Escalante Fremont. But since the boss is kind enough to show me the 6 times more expensive product, how could I resist?

My oh my, the 318B was like a mini compo when compared to the 845SE! Taking a more composed presentation from 318B's groovy nature, I was taken aback by the 845SE's ability to present a more bodily presentation with just a few watt more. Is this the rightness that everyone was raving about SET? I am not sure but this is surely the first that captured my heart!

The mids was so sweet and liquid. The highs had got such elegance airiness that might be the best I have heard. The bass was enough to make foundation for the rest to build upon. With such balanced frequency response, musical instruments were presented in their complete postures with fundamentals encapsulated in rich harmonics. There was this golden honey coating on the musical textures that made this amp heavenly to listen to.

Some might think tonal guy is anal, who knows, you might turn anal after listening to one!

I didn't listen much to the EDGE, but just in case you are wondering, you can listen to one in Aural Designs.

2 comments:

maggielurva 愛美姬 said...

wah, victor must be very happy...

Lil' KC 小雞雞 said...

I am happy as Victor is accommodating enough to let me listen to those goodies!

Seriously, there are many potential customers out there. But with many dealers with fuck up attitude, who dares to even step into the shops?