Seriously, I was shocked to realize the overall standard of equipments our lovely neighbors are using. In a weekend, I heard 2 MBL setups that basically blew my underwear away! This really opened up my horizon on the choices I could go if I were to dump more money in this hobby.

If Ipoh is the town of Audio Research Corp and KL is the city of Krell, then Singapore is no doubt the city of MBL! In 2 days, it changed my perception on solid state and humbled me even more!

The first setup I heard comprised of Mark Levinson 31 transport, Theta processor, mbl 6010 D pre, mbl 9006 power, 2 Jeff Rowland Model 7 powers, mbl 202 A sub and mbl 101 D speakers. All cables were WireWorld, the 9006 was used for the lows while Model 7 were used to power the highs. The second setup was equally jaw dropping with mbl 1621 A transport, mbl 1611 D processor, mbl 6010 D pre and 2 mbl 9011 powers to drive the mbl 101 E speakers. Coincidently, cables used were WireWorld too with some mix in between.

With such high caliber of equipments veering towards MBL, it was easy for me to fully appreciate the sound of MBL, which to me, is standing tall against the great brands out there like ARC and Krell. Albeit the slight differences in front end, the MBL house sound was easily identified.

Unlike Krell, which caters its sheer power towards giving that effortless leading edge transient attacks, MBL is a bit on the darker side of tonal balance. MBL hangs on the notes longer, making them highly densed, tonally rich and full of textures. Although MBL is more than capable in providing that gut wrenching power, the leading edge to me is less snappy than the American powerhouse.

In both setups, the musical soundstage is never up front, residing always behind the 101 D/E with great depth and layering. The sense of space and dimensionality is vivid and never faltering, in fact, disregard of music genre, MBL is always composed and under control. It is more gentlemanly than playful.

Contrastingly, ARC gives a much more playful presentation with its lively and vivacious mid to top band coverage. Although both giving highly densed imaging, as compared to what I’ve heard with the new LS26, ARC has got that sense of air more. It might be unfair as I am overly used to MG3.6 + LS26 + CL120, which gives world class airiness. While music fundamentals develop with air surrounding and developing outwards, gracefully trailing into thin air with ARC, MBL gives a much more substantial body. Notes start and end so incisively with MBL!

It might be due to MBL’s darker nature, I find that MBL tends to hang on to the notes longer with slower (still fast relatively to tubes) leading edge and lesser decay. Is this a bad thing? I don’t think so, as for the first time in my life, my perception towards solid state changed! I have never expected solid state to converge so closely to tube’s richness and textural quality.

However, please do not overlook the forte in MBL’s rendition of highs and lows. The highs, though not as vibrant as some premier tube gears, are solid and substantial. The leading edge might not be as crispy as desired by some; similarly, the decays are not so graceful as well. It is where the time slice of music fundamentals developing into rich harmonics that MBL somehow could slow down the time and let you taste them like wine.

The bass of MBL too, is slightly of the laid back nature. But never relate them to wobbly or sissy, they can definitely play loud and very well defined, too. It is more like a matured musician, never out of swing and always in a composed manner. Coupled all these, when listening to orchestral work, I find that MBL did a great job in repackaging the musical event, titivating them and fit them nicely in the comfort of your listening room!

I know this might be hard to swallow and digest, with MBL, I sense that you still remain a spectator, an onlooker towards the musical presentation as a whole. With ARC, the presentation gets a much boost up energy and lifelikeness due to its more forward presentation and slight added engagement.

If you ask me, I am still leaning more towards ARC. However, looking at the hassle of tube maintenance and the confusing tube sound from different brands, I am really contemplating to go solid state the MBL way!

4 comments:

maggielurva 愛美姬 said...

it this jonathan valin blogging? it sounds like a page taken out from TAS!

great post!

Lil' KC 小雞雞 said...

Let me search for JV's reviews, I find that his taste greatly resembles Asian's.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interesting write-up on the MBL sound. There's hope for SS yet, eh?

Lil' KC 小雞雞 said...

There's definitely hope for tube ppl to go ss. I was shocked myself to experience the MBL sound! Both ARC and MBL are seriously prettier than life when I listen and ask myself if they sound real.

You want real? Krell MRA is the only thing sounds real to me. That, I have to take a 2 generation loan.