handsome monoblock that is very tube-like

this new pass labs is the new single-ended Class A amp combining the very best of the original pass labs “aleph” series with the present “x” series characteristics. as far as i can remember, the previous "x" series has left me very cold. i have listened to x250 & x350, none impressed me.

suprise, suprise, suprise. in terms of detail, intimacy, lushness, detailed midrange, sweet and silky smooth top end (by solid state standards), transparency, the pass labs is actually a tad better than the c-j premier 350!

in fact, it actually sound tubey! the class A must be doing something right.

in terms of power matching, the 100-watt class A matches my maggie 3.6R perfectly, better than my 120watt class AB ARC classic 120. whereas the c-j, on the other hand, overpowers and overwhelms my maggie totally with its 600W (4 ohm). on extended listening, c-j's bass is too prominent for my tastes. it needs more room to breathe.

the pass lab xa100 actually have more refinement than the c-j premier 350. overall, a positive 1st impression.

No comments: