the introduction of shunyata hydra into my system necessitates some changes to the rest of my ancillaries, notably my power cords. the hydra is great on the mids and lows but i find the highs a bit wanting. i have outgrown the (showy) highs from richard gray and i want something in between of the hydra and RGPC.

so, after some mix and match or power cords, i have found my ultmate solutions in the form of ps audio xstream statement sc power cord (for cd player) and black rhodium polar knight power cord (for preamp). the latest from ps audio has beautiful mid-highs while retaining the strengths of its predecessor, (ie. density and weight), whereas the cryo-treated black rhodium also give crystalline highs that is hard to find at its price point. the pencil-thin cord is great for my preamp. from my experience, water-hose type of thick power cords are never never good for preamp.

with this combi of power cords, my sound has stricken the perfect balance of liquid highs, meaty mids and tactile lows. it is heavenly to my ears. being a tonal guy, this is my best achievement.

this current sound is going to stick for a long while before i get itchy and go for another milestone.

the irony is i achieve this pinnacle of hifi sound when i am playing alone, with no one to share my joy/sorrow with.

who ever says success doesn't not come with a price? :-)

No comments: